Thursday, March 24, 2016

March Autoimmune Disease Awareness Part III...Dupuytren's Disease and Hashimoto's Thyroiditis

I love to write. In fact, my entries in this blog are always cathartic for me, and hopefully, shed some light into the world of chronic illness for those of you who visit...some looking for answers, others reaching out in support and encouragement. But this week has been difficult, so I have had a little trouble putting my thoughts together for this segment of my Autoimmune Disease Awareness Month series. I suffered a deep chest wall contusion, bruising both muscles and ribs, simply by reaching over the back of a sofa to retrieve a doll for my grandbaby. I spent most of Sunday afternoon in the emergency room, in so much pain I could scarcely breathe. After an EKG, chest x-ray and CT scan ruled out heart issues, broken/dislocated ribs and blood clots, I was given IV pain medications and sent home with instructions to rest and perform deep breathing exercises to help avoid pneumonia. I am still in a great deal of pain, something that will take time to get over...about 6 weeks or so, in fact, according to the doctor. This whole experience has been a reminder that I am, indeed, fragile...and, well...breakable. Having the multiple conditions that I have makes even the smallest situation...a twist here, a turn there, reaching too far, pressing too hard...hazardous to my health. Yes, I admit it. I am breakable. But praise God, I am NOT broken!

I promised that throughout the month of March (which is Autoimmune Disease Awareness Month), I would touch on each of the autoimmune diseases I have, and today I will focus on two of them. Dupuytren's Disease, or Dupuytren's Contracture, is a genetic condition that runs in families (though it sometimes skips generations), mostly of Northern European ancestry. This disease affects the connective tissue that lies beneath the skin in the palm of the hand, causing nodules, cords, tightening and contractures of this tissue in the hand. Because of the contractures, the fingers can become permanently bent down toward the palm, and the function of the hand is impaired, sometimes severely. It was only after I developed it that I discovered that this painful condition indeed runs in my family. Until then, I had never even heard of it, despite the fact that Dupuytren's disease is the most common crippling hand condition, affecting at least ten million Americans, making their fingers permanently bent. There is no prevention and no cure. In fact, to date, the only available treatments are by surgeons, so most research has been on procedures, not the core biology. Surgeons perform procedures for contractures, but improvement is often partial, temporary for most, and complications are common. Despite recent progress in reducing complications of treatment, rates of progression and recurrence have not improved in the last fifty years.


Many scientists suspect that Dupuytren's is a result of autoimmune processes, but more studies are necessary to determine the exact cause. According to the Dupuytren Foundation, "Understanding Dupuytren biology may lead to better treatment for other serious medical conditions. Dupuytren biology overlaps that of other fibrotic conditions, including cardiovascular disease, cirrhosis of the liver, pulmonary fibrosis, scleroderma and others. It’s no coincidence that all of these conditions also lack effective medicines – they share parallel biologic pathways. Of all these, Dupuytren disease is the most accessible to study." "For reasons not yet known, people with Dupuytren's Contracture have a greater risk for cardiovascular disease, several types of cancer, and early death." Thankfully, there is valuable research underway to understand and better treat this disease.

Much of the information available indicates that Dupuytren's Disease is generally slow to progress and is not usually painful. Unfortunately, that is not the case for everyone. A history of this condition within your family is an indication that it will be more aggressive. When the disease is in both hands or there is associated foot involvement, the progression tends to be more rapid. I have Dupuytren's in both hands, and the disease progression in my right hand was not only aggressive, but very painful. From the first nodule to development of cords, involvement in my entire palm and all 5 fingers, and, ultimately, contracture, was less than a year. I had to do something.

My hand the day after surgery and today.
Definitely, no regrets
Given the intricate nature of the hand itself, with its multiple nerves and tendons, having surgery to remove the diseased tissue and release the contractures was a decision that could not be taken lightly. But living without the full use of one or both hands is not really an option; so I decided to have the surgery, and in August of 2014, I underwent a full palmar fasciectomy in my right hand. Of course, no procedure is without risk, and I suffered nerve damage as a result of the surgery. While it has been a struggle to deal with this complication, I have no regrets for my decision to move forward with the operation. In spite of the nerve damage that has caused pain, numbness and inability to fully grip things, I am able to use my hand, open it almost completely, type, and perhaps even one day (when my piano is fully restored) will be able to play the piano again. We shall see. I do recognize that the surgery I had is not a cure and that the disease will return. But I am excited that there is currently a research program in progress, and I am hoping that through research, we will one day find a cure for this disease.

Swollen thyroid gland due to
Autoimmune inflammation
Hashimoto's Thyroiditis is an autoimmune disease that causes inflammation in the thyroid, and gradual destruction of the thyroid tissue by the immune system. It is a progressive disease, and, as is the case with most autoimmune diseases, has different degrees of severity. I have been plagued for years with Hashimoto's, with bouts of hypothyroidism and its unrelenting fatigue, fluid retention, swelling in the neck, brittle nails, dry and thinning hair, body aches, joint stiffness and pain, and intolerance to cold. Thyroid replacement therapy would help with symptoms, then I would suddenly swing into a state of normal or even hyperthyroidism, with weight loss, diarrhea, insomnia, etc., and would have to go off my thyroid replacement therapy. Without warning, I would fall back into a hypothyroid state, which I have finally settled into, with its debilitating symptoms and almost complete destruction of my thyroid gland by the autoimmune process. I am currently on thyroid replacement therapy, and that helps alleviate the symptoms. Unfortunately, treating symptoms does not address the root of the problem...the autoimmune process.

According to The Hashimoto's Awareness Organization, there are 3 stages of Hashimoto's Thyroiditis: Silent Autoimmunity (the stage in which body has lost tolerance to its own tissue, but there are no symptoms yet and it doesn’t really affect the way that the system functions), Autoimmune Reactivity (in this stage, the destruction of the target tissue has begun. There are elevated antibodies and some symptoms. However, the destruction is not significant enough to actually be labeled autoimmune disease because 70 to 90% of the target tissue has not yet been destroyed), and Autoimmune Disease (this is the stage where Western medicine finally acknowledges that this is an autoimmune disease. And it takes this long because you need significant destruction of tissue in order to see the destruction with an MRI or ultrasound. Other findings include elevated antibodies, serious and significant symptoms, lab results, and special studies that all confirm a loss of function).

Click here to see a check list of Hashimoto's Thyroiditis symptoms. If you are struggling with anything on this list, I encourage you to make an appointment with your doctor. You do not have to suffer needlessly! For the time being, help alleviating symptoms is available, and research is underway. That is why awareness is so important. Because with awareness comes research funding, and with research we have hope for a cure!

God bless you...


"There is no medicine like hope, no incentive so great, and no tonic so powerful as expectation of something better tomorrow." ~Orison Marden~

1 comment:

  1. My brother Atson had myasthenia gravis since 2015. He got medically discharged out of the Army, a job he loved well. His heart had 5 myasthenic crises, 3 being severe enough to be ventilated or require CPAP (continuous positive airway pressure) helmet. He have had countless plasma exchanges as his veins are bad. He also needed Hickman lines inserted, he have been on azathioprine, mycophenolate (CellCept), methotrexate and none have worked. He is currently done with his herbal remedy I purchase from totalcureherbsfoundation .com which has totally cured his condition with a surprise after almost four months of their usage, he was discouraged and never thought he would be myasthenia gravis (MG) free ,to me the best to get rid of this condition is totalcureherbsfoundation com treatment because all medications we used never worked include mycophenolate (CellCept)

    ReplyDelete

Featured Post

"I am with you and will watch over you wherever you go" ~Genesis 28:15a~ Several weeks ago, I attended an event for ladies at my c...