Thursday, June 1, 2017

The truth about Myasthenia Gravis

"To share your weakness is to make yourself vulnerable;
To make yourself vulnerable is to show your strength"
~Criss Jami~
June is Myasthenia Gravis Awareness Month, and keeping that in mind, I am writing to you today. This entry will be entirely centered around this one aspect of my chronic illness journey, so please...bear with
me, as I am sure this will be long!

When I began walking this path and started blogging about my journey, someone I love and respect told me to chronicle my own experiences rather than compiling and sharing those of others...suggesting, perhaps, that the daily struggle I face is something that is not my own. I took that advisement in stride, and decided at that moment to be as open, honest, and transparent as possible. But sometimes, reality is overwhelming and tiresome, even for me. So...to all of you reading this now, thank you for being here. Your love and your prayers mean more to me than you can possibly know. As I have mentioned before, it isn't easy to fight, and every now and then, depression is a cloud that hovers about, threatening to descend and shroud me in darkness, especially when I spend most days unable to get out, unable to drive, unable to talk on the phone, too weak to function much at all, truth be known. But fight I must, and my strong faith in my Anchor of Hope helps keep depression at bay. I am involved in a couple of online support groups, and I see that as a ministry of light, for which I am grateful.

So what is this "thing" called Myasthenia Gravis? Basically, it is a disease for which there is no cure, where there is a breakdown in communication between nerves and muscles. This breakdown causes weakness in the muscles under voluntary control, such as those needed to see, chew, swallow, talk, and breathe, as well as those needed to walk, use the arms and hands. I am finding more and more that many still have never heard of it. While considered rare, MG strikes thousands of people around the world without respect for age, gender or race.

Because there is a lack of understanding (even among the medical profession), many of us are subjected to comments like, "you should count your blessings, at least it's not cancer!", "well, if you would exercise more, you would feel better", "you really ought to get out and be involved in life more",  or even "I read that it isn't fatal and that with treatment you can live a normal life". And I am sure that if you look on the internet, you will find outdated information that tells you just that...that this debilitating and often fatal disease is anything but. To minimize the seriousness of this difficult-to-treat, life-threatening disease and the debilitation it causes, by making comments like these does a huge disservice to those of us who struggle daily. We would never make such flippant remarks to someone with Cancer or MS or ALS...but we do to those with MG, simply because this disease and its devastating ramifications are not fully understood.

You may have heard that MG patients are often called 'snowflakes'. This is because each of us walks a different disease path, and none of us is exactly the same. For some, treatment with Mestinon (a drug that helps get the message from the nerve to the muscle to function properly) is successful. For others, it takes harsh drugs and/or chemotherapy, plasmapheresis or IV Immunoglobulin (IVIG) infusions, all of which have terrible side effects and risks associated with them, to get the disease temporarily under control. And then there are those who have Refractory Myasthenia, who do not respond to treatment at all.  We have lost many people in the Myasthenia Gravis community just this year due to complications of this disease. Some have been quite young, some have left young children and spouses, and others have been a little older. But each life was important. Each person fought hard and ultimately lost the battle.

A while back, in one of my online support groups, someone (who doesn't have MG) wanted to know what our "real" symptoms are. Her actual question went something like this: "I know you have droopy eyelids and all, but are there any 'real' symptoms?" To this lady and to anyone else who wants a view into what living with Myasthenia Gravis looks like, I pen this response:
"Real" symptoms? What does that mean? Droopy eyelids sounds funny, I suppose...like something afflicting one of the dwarves in the story of Snow White, but it is very real and not very funny when you cannot open your eyes, no matter how hard you try. Breathing becomes a chore and during sleep, it stops altogether so you sleep with a facemask connected to a machine that keeps air constantly flowing...every.single.night. It gets "real" very quickly when you go to rise up out of bed, but can't because your neck is too weak to lift your head; your mouth drops open because you can't keep it closed; you try to smile, but your facial muscles are so weak, the smile never comes; phone calls not only take your voice away, but your very breath as well. "Real" is when taking a shower, brushing your teeth, drying and styling your hair AND getting dressed all in the same morning is a HUGE accomplishment, one which requires rest afterwards just to be able to do whatever it was that got you out of bed in the first place. It's being so weak your husband has to carry you to the bathroom in the middle of the night because your legs won't take you there; for some, it's walking into a store on what you thought was a good day, and having to be wheeled out because no matter how hard you will your muscles to keep your feet on solid ground, they just won't cooperate. It's blurred vision and double vision that takes away the joy you once had when reading; it's muscle weakness so severe in your arms and legs that you can lift nothing of any measurable weight, can take no more than a few steps at a time, and can no longer drive. It's being a ballroom dancer who sits in a wheelchair grieving over the loss of the ability to dance, yet having a heart that soars with happiness that your husband can still dance and you can live vicariously on the dance floor through friends who will still dance with him. It's knowing that because of extenuating circumstances, the only treatment available to you is a weekly IVIG infusion accessed via a port that has been surgically implanted into your chest, and then wondering if the next infusion is going to be a good batch or not, if there will be an adverse reaction, or if all will go smoothly. It's getting excited about having a power chair because it will bring back a little independence, and then being too weak to get in it and hold yourself upright enough to keep from melting and sliding right onto the floor. It's trying to eat, but not having the strength to chew; to swallow, but either choking unexpectedly or having it all...whether liquid or solid...come out of your nose. It's never knowing exactly when you'll turn the corner that lands you down into the respiratory crisis abyss (and the fear of being on a ventilator that comes with it), being susceptible to infection, questioning when exactly you should go to the hospital, and wondering once you get there, will they know what to do to save you? This is MY story, and oh yes, it is all too "real"! It is only through faith that my God is holding my hand through it all that I can fight.

Please keep me and all that are afflicted with Myasthenia Gravis in your prayers. And if you will, please help us spread awareness. Because with awareness, perhaps...one day...we will see a cure. #ihaveheardofmg

God bless you, I love you...
Kathie Lea

13 comments:

  1. I too my MG. Recently started writing blogs about my own experience as well. I am very glad that you chose to share your story. It will help spread awareness. Stay blessed !!

    ReplyDelete
  2. To face chronic illnesses valiantly is not easy. More power to you !!

    I too have MG. Read my story at
    https://sachisha.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by, and for sharing your story. I will visit your blog and will be keeping you in my thoughts and prayers!

      Delete
  3. Christine HollowayJune 9, 2017 at 6:35 AM

    At the young age of 22, my son was diagnosed with MG & Morvan's Syndrome. He'll be 30 in July. Even more rare than MG, he is only the 15th US documented case in history. It's been quite the experience. Sending you love & strength.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow...bless your heart! I will be praying for your son and for you! Thanks so much for visiting my page. Please feel free to share it with anyone you feel it will help.

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for sharing your story.. I too have MG as well and the words you wrote are so true. Hang in there and stay blessed...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for sharing your story. You are in my prayers. My mother was recently diagnosed with MG and she has also received many comments such as how lucky she is for it not to be 'anything more serious'! It is extremely tough to see her struggling through each day and deteriorating week by week. Thank you for writing such an honest account of your life with MG.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My brother Atson had myasthenia gravis since 2015. He got medically discharged out of the Army, a job he loved well. His heart had 5 myasthenic crises, 3 being severe enough to be ventilated or require CPAP (continuous positive airway pressure) helmet. He have had countless plasma exchanges as his veins are bad. He also needed Hickman lines inserted, he have been on azathioprine, mycophenolate (CellCept), methotrexate and none have worked. He is currently done with his herbal remedy I purchase from totalcureherbsfoundation .com which has totally cured his condition with a surprise after almost four months of their usage, he was discouraged and never thought he would be myasthenia gravis (MG) free ,to me the best to get rid of this condition is totalcureherbsfoundation com treatment because all medications we used never worked include mycophenolate (CellCept)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi :) I am struggling majorly myself at the minute and I must say reading your post has helped tremendously. I was diagnosed with Myasthenia in March 2018 at the age of 27 after suffering undiagnosed for 12 years. I also had previous diagnoses of 2 other autoimmune issues: Rheumatoid Arthritis and Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome. Recently though they trialled me off of IVIG entirely - which I could previously only stretch to fortnightly at best - and other things have popped out of the woodwork... I am now being diagnosed as well with Hashimoto’s with secondary iron deficiency anaemia. This new disease progression has put me in one of the most vulnerable positions of my life, as not only am I suffering the same physical symptoms as the OP, Kathie, I am also suffering the EXTREME, Cellular fatigue of BOTH these two new processes, plus all their other symptoms of long-term oxygen and nutrient depletion, such as zero appetite, crazy nausea, all-day incapacitating migraines, every day, dizziness, weakness and fainting, confusion, zero concentration/focus - I truly cannot even follow a conversation or watch tv, I lose my sight and my hearing, my heart is constantly racing, palpitations, my hair, skin and nails are abysmal - dry, cracked, falling out, massive hormone problems, and I am so darn drained out all the time that just the simple act of standing up is more than enough to set the entire avalanche off all over again....

    I feel like I’m at my wits’ end with this. I truly feel like I’m surrounded on all sides by a tsunami wave and about to be devoured completely, and with absolutely nothing at all I can do except hold faith, wait and hope.


    If you don’t suffer from one of these debilitatingly exhausting conditions, I find it truly difficult to explain the sheer level of exhaustion we battle on an everyday basis, and how insurmountable even the smallest tasks can appear, but the best I can do is to ask you to compare the ‘effort required’ to perform a simple task, such as making a sandwich, when you’re well, vs. when you were down with the worst flu you’ve ever had... Not only does it require significantly more effort to complete but you also have to have the energy reserves to carry it out, and for us those are severely limited as well.

    As it currently stands I suffer significantly if I sleep less than 16hrs a night, but even if I do, the pay off of sleeping all that time, is just to be able to make it to the next night without anything major going wrong - provided I am bedridden for my waking hours.... that’s no life. I mean at the moment I can’t even brush my teeth in one sitting, it takes me three or more rest breaks in between, and I am truly just over this all! I’m not even 30... I just want a chance to live.


    Gahh! Ah well, I’ve had my rant now. Back to the pig-headedness that gets me through every-day life. - Cue Mantra Loop: “This too shall pass. God gives his toughest battles to his strongest soldiers. I may not be able to see it, but I have faith that my suffering has a purpose. Each life experience is a lesson. Use this to become better. To become stronger. To help others. Use my experience to ease someone else’s fears. Life is a gift. I am blessed with EVERY new day. MAKE THE MOST OF IT.

    I love you all. Please remember that no matter what gets thrown at us, and no matter how much we swear we can’t take it, and that we’ll break... - Every single day makes us stronger, every trauma, battle and hardship mould us into super-humans, who in one lifetime, have to climb the equivalent of Everest, both physically and mentally, every day.

    It may not look like much from the outside but guys, I see you. I see what you manage to achieve day in and day out despite everything our own bodies can throw at us, and I just want to tell you how DAMN PROUD I am of all of you. Never give up guys, no matter how hard it can seem at times. Remember, you’re not alone, no matter how isolated you may feel, and you’re PERFECT, just the way you are.


    I love you all so much,

    Love and light,



    Phoenix xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. My mom ALS started out with a foot drop on her left foot. From there her left leg lost all muscle tone and all the entire left leg muscles were almost gone. Also her fingers and thumbs "contract" at times. Left arm is losing muscle tone too,she have been suffering from amyotrophic laterals sclerosis (ALS) disease for the last seven years and had constant pain which really get us worried, especially in her knees, the only treatment for this ALS (amyotrophic lateral sclerosis) is natural organic treatments honestly ,Multivitamin Herbal Care has the perfect herbal remedy to Motor Neuron Disease including,getting into bed was also another thing she finds impossible. We had to find a better solution for her condition which has really helped her a lot,The biggest help we had was multivitamincare orgThey walked us through the proper steps, I highly recommend these herbs to anyone suffering from ALS.

    ReplyDelete
  11. My Myasthenia Gravis (MG) symptoms started at the age of 51, I have had countless plasma exchanges as my veins are bad. I also needed Hickman lines inserted. I have been on azathioprine, mycophenolate (CellCept), methotrexate and none have worked. I'm currently done with my herbal remedy I purchased from multivitamincure. org which has totally cured my condition with a surprise after almost four months of their usage, I was discouraged and never thought I would be myasthenia gravis (MG) free today,to me the best way to get rid of this condition is multivitamincure. org herbal recommendation because all medications I used never worked include mycophenolate (CellCept).

    ReplyDelete

Featured Post

"I am with you and will watch over you wherever you go" ~Genesis 28:15a~ Several weeks ago, I attended an event for ladies at my c...