Thursday, May 21, 2015

The Quilt

Several years ago, I bought a handmade quilt in Branson, MO. The intricate stitching and the patchwork design caught my eye, and as an added feature, the sales lady told me that the quilt was reversible. I was sold. I simply could not leave for home without it. Now there is something about that quilt that is special to me. Perhaps it is that the trip to Branson was a birthday gift from my husband, or that our time away together was full of the kinds of stuff that beautiful memories are made of. Either way, I have a tangible (and functional) souvenir of that magical trip. And so I keep that quilt on my bed and run my hands along the patchwork design from time to time, as I wonder about the loving hands that created such a beautiful piece. Is there special meaning behind each of the squares of fabric that make up the design? Oh, how gifted is the quilter, who is able to take a needle in hand and bring such beauty to life!
To be honest, until recently, I have never put the reverse side of the quilt face up to be viewed, though that is what “sealed the deal” for me in the first place. The underside, though lovely, just seemed too simple. But one day I needed a change, and finally put the quilt on the bed with the underside in full view. But when I did, I noticed flaws I had never seen before. At first, I was disappointed and was going to put it back on the bed the other way, but I simply didn’t have the energy. The change back to it's "normal" placement on the bed would have to wait until I was feeling better. And then a picture came to my mind’s eye, and I could see my quilt as a lovely representative of my own life, and the reminder that though I’m stitched together by God’s loving hand, I am far from perfect. There are parts of me…whether by circumstance or by choice… that reside in quiet, often lonely, solitude. I don’t choose to place those parts of me in full view because they make me feel vulnerable, simple, and flawed. But God sees ALL of me, and has taken the patchwork of my life…the difficulties, the joys, the pain and the triumphs…and has lovingly stitched together a meaningful and warm design that has purpose. He has given me a host of friends and loved ones to encourage me, to pray for me, and support me. I feel loved. Indeed, even lovely.
So I’d like to thank each of you once more for encouraging me and for prayerfully supporting me. On those days when I spend my entire day alone, unable to get out or to speak to anyone for any length of time due to weakness, it is comforting to know that there are people who love me and are praying for me. I could not make it through those days with my sanity intact without that affirmation. I know that indeed, I am never truly alone. Each of you is a gift that I cherish…a special and treasured “patch” in my life’s quilt.
God bless you, I love you.
Kathie Lea
“Our lives are like quilts’ bits and pieces, joy and sorrow, stitched with love. ~Unknown~

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

"I am with you and will watch over you wherever you go" ~Genesis 28:15a~ Several weeks ago, I attended an event for ladies at my c...